Sunday, September 15, 2013

Keep it positive! (Sermon 9.15.13)

Happy Sunday everyone!

This week I have had a lot of life lessons that seem to pertain to the Law of Attraction, which essentially says "like attracts like." Positive attracts positive, but negative attracts negative as well.

As my week unfolded and "perceived" negative events occurred, I tried to remember that I am responsible for how I react to everything in my life. My reaction makes all the difference, not only to the current situation, but also to my future.

Our thoughts and emotions have a very big impact upon our lives. It is becoming clearer and clearer in the world of Quantum Physics that how we think about things helps to shape them. We are in fact helping to create our future by how we are behaving now, including what we are thinking about, and how we are feeling.

If I have a negative start to my day, say spilling my coffee all over myself, and I react negatively, in anger or frustration, I may continue the re-activity by stubbing my toe while changing my clothes, or tearing off a button, or some other mishap. Inevitably, my day continues to get worse. Everyone has had days like this. It is pretty common in our lives.

But, what if I tell you that it is no accident that our day goes from bad to worse? What if I tell you that the first negative occurrence, like spilling the coffee, created a negative chain of events that led to a really bad day? Negative attracts negative. And, throw in a little emotional angst, like anger or frustration, which we feel whole-heartedly, and you've got a negative whirlwind going, spinning out of control for the rest of the day.

How do we stop it? How do we cut the negativity off and stop the landslide of bad things from happening? How do we turn our day around?

Put a spin on it. Just like the spin doctors that twist national events for the mass media, we need to twist our own negative events so that we can see something positive in them. I know it can be difficult, especially if the negative event is large and life changing.

The first step is to recognize it for what it is. Can you change it? If so, do so. Even if you have to begin small, you have to start somewhere, and any step forward is a step in the right direction. Activity to change your situation should help bring you out of the negativity. If you can't change it, then acknowledge it, feel the emotion, but don't dwell on it. Don't get stuck in the negative emotion or negative thought pattern.

Even one positive thought or emotion can help turn things around. Like attracts like. Remember a happy moment in your life, and really feel it, like you are there again. The emotional charge helps draw the positive energy back into your life, and pushes the negativity away.

Remember how I spilled coffee all over myself? Well, what if I laughed at myself and thought, "Oh, I didn't really want to wear this outfit anyway. That bright yellow blouse has been calling to me, and now I have an excuse to change." (Colors have an impact on our moods and emotions as well, so choosing a bright "sunny" color might very well put another positive spin on the day.)

Now, I have cut off the negativity--stopped it in its tracks--derailed it, so to speak, and my day progresses normally, or even down a positive path, perhaps becoming one of the best days of my life! Why? Because I noticed what was happening and reacted in a controlled and intentional manner, not letting the negativity get the better of me.

How can we become more intentional in our day to day reactions, so that we are consciously creating a life of happiness and positive intentions? Practice being aware of our reactions, both positive and negative. If we can notice how we are behaving in any situation, we have taken the first step in correcting any negativity that is trying to invade our lives.

As we remember that "like attracts like" we will become more conscious of the patterns in our lives. If we want to change anything, including a bad day, we must spin it so that we are functioning from a more positive place. Instead of dwelling on what we don't want, we must focus our emotional energy on what we do want.

Even if it seems trivial, know that your thoughts and emotions are creating your tomorrow. Wouldn't it be better to approach the future from a positive place? I know that when I react to events and even to others from a positive place, everyone around me seems calmer and happier, which leads to a better day...for everyone.

We can change the world, one positive thought at a time!

-Rev. Kerry






No comments:

Post a Comment