Sunday, April 6, 2014

I am Coyote (4.6.14)

Good morning. Happy Sunday!

Look closely at the things around you...the world is not as it seems, but so much more.

This week we lost a turkey to the coyotes. How that happened, I'm not exactly sure. There must be a lot of holes in the original perimeter fence around the farm. The turkeys were out in their little yard and wouldn't go in their house for the night. And one of them paid for it.

I felt sad for the turkey, and for the loss to the farm. I felt angry about the fences and let down that most of the tales about coyotes are not true. (Like how they won't come into your space if you have other dogs that poop around the place, but maybe Chihuahua doesn't count. Our big dogs do not run the property. The fences are bad.)

I tried to track the coyote, following the turkey feathers, but I lost the trail in the big field we never use. As I walked in the cold wind, feeling the chill bite into my face and settle in my ears, I thought about that turkey and the fear it must have experienced. But then I thought about the coyote, and the longer I followed it's trail, the more I thought about how hungry it must have been to be so bold and courageous to enter our farm space, so close to the llamas and the dog pens, so close to the house, and catch that turkey under the fence of the turkey pen.

I saw several piles of coyote scat as I walked--some large, some small, like it belonged to a pup. I know that coyote carried and dragged that large bird a long way to its pack.

For just a minute I became that coyote, and all I wanted to do was feed my pups. The winter has been long and cold for everyone. The turkey became food for a family just struggling to get by. I understand that.

As I walk into nature, I become a part of the world I was meant to share and experience. My mind opens and I see things differently. My heart opens and I feel as One with the Great Web of Life, which is where I am supposed to be. As a human, I am no different from the wild life that surrounds me, and no different from all the creatures just trying to live in this world. Our realities may appear to be vastly unique to our circumstances, but in the end, life shares all things--this Mother Earth, the air, the water, the soil, the need for sustenance, and community of some variety.

I am Coyote, I am Magpie. I am my neighbor. I am the devastated mother on the other side of the world who just lost her child to some USA guided drone strike. But, I am also the misguided human who flew that drone. I am a part of all of it. Life. All That Is. The Tao. Source. God. It all exists outside of me, but it all exists inside of me too.

Like it or not, I must face the reality of myself. When I change myself by overcoming my own negative aspects, the world outside of me will also change. We are All One. We share the same energy.

I am Coyote. I am God. I am you. I am me. How may we help one another?

Love to all.

~Rev. Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment