Sunday, October 13, 2013

Seeking and growing (10.13.13)

Good Morning! Happy Sunday!

Yesterday we took a trip across the valley to Crestone, to the Yaktoberfest. This is an annual event held by the Cho Ku Rei Ranch, which raises Yaks in the San Luis Valley, near Crestone, Colorado. The kids were able to pet baby Yaks, get their faces painted and have balloon animals created for them by a clown while the local children made their own balloon hats. Do they have a class for that at the charter school?

We haven't been to Crestone for years, since my six year old was a baby and my son was growing in my belly. At that time we were looking for a new place to land, a local community of like-minded people who are spiritual without being religious, people who are environmentally aware and active in the choices they make in day to day living, and people who are creative. Crestone has all of that. Maybe more so than the average community. Crestone is the spiritual mecca of Colorado, and is home to many spiritual centers. Called the "Shambala" of the Rocky Mountains, many spiritual seekers find themselves in Crestone, for one reason or another.

I enjoy visiting Crestone. The tiny town is growing, and has a few more businesses in the downtown area from the last time we drove through.

But, this post isn't about Crestone, it's about seeking. Seeking new places, new experiences, new ways to live more responsibly with our Mother Earth. Crestone, and the people that have chosen to live there, in the frigid winter temperatures of the high desert, remind me of my own choices. My partner and I chose to live a little less comfortably when we moved from our beautiful Victorian house near downtown Colorado Springs a few years ago, and out into the country. We were seeking an alternative to the crashing American Dream and the lies espoused by the mainstream American media.

Funny (and long story) how we eventually landed in Taos (again), another spiritual center of the Southwest. Taos is a great place and a magical place for anyone seeking new experiences, and will always leave one with mysterious memories to be pondered later.

But now, we find ourselves seeking again. This time we are seeking a place to call home, a place we can run our farmstead and spiritual center, while welcoming other "seekers" on their paths as well. We are seeking a community of folks who share in our vision of living an alternative lifestyle to the American mainstream culture. We have met a few people here and there and are very thankful for their energy in our lives.

But, while I continue to look at houses and dream of properties that would be just right for all of our plans, I am brought back to a lesson I learned long ago--while I was still living in the city in that great, old Victorian house: you must grow where you are planted. You must thrive wherever you are, in the circumstances you find yourself currently in, be that a tiny apartment in the city or a tiny house in the country that is too small and doesn't belong to you. Never stagnate.

Whatever circumstances you might currently find yourself in, the growth of your soul depends on what you do with what you have. Are you open to new experiences and new learning opportunities? Are you grateful for what you do have, every single day? Do you love all of the people that come into your life, and value the opportunity to exchange ideas and listen to all the wonderful things they might have to teach you?

While I continue to look for a place to land and build our special place, I am constantly seeking adventure and opportunities that will advance my own spiritual journeys. We may be stuck here now, renting a small farm, but we are thankful for this place and this land to grow our gardens and raise our livestock. We are thankful for everything we learn as we move from place to place, and all of the wonderful people we meet in each community we temporarily land in.

One important thing I have learned from all of our moving around is that I am still growing as a spiritual being. I seek and I find. I seek ways to advance my own enlightenment and the Universe always sends me ample learning opportunities. As I continue to seek, I continue to grow. My curiosity and love of adventure keeps the energy flowing in my own life and every new experience allows me to grow as an individual, raising my energetic vibrations to higher levels.

This week let's try to seek new experiences and opportunities that might help us grow as people and as communities. Come together and learn from each other and enjoy time spent in the company of fellow spiritual travelers. We are all seeking and we are all growing.

Enjoy the journey.

~Rev. Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment